Monday, November 2, 2015

Sheer Fear: And Other See-Through Fabrics

I am not one to shy away from an unusual trend. I've tried a feather hair extension and skinny cargo pants. I've wore sweatsuit pants with words on the butt, and who among us didn't own a pair of UGG boots? I even embarrassingly wore a few popcorn shirts in middle school—thanks for making me remember that one Bustle


Considering my past fashion disasters, it's hard to believe there would still be a style today that I'm hesitant to try. Or maybe, too self-conscious to try is a little more of an honest answer. But the new "naked" trend is just downright intimidating. 

Naked dresses and ensembles are all over the red carpet lately. Usually the majority of a "naked" piece is made up of sheer, or other transparent material, and the wearer's private areas are covered up by non-transparent material. Pieces with very little fabric and precisely cutaway sections also qualify. Earlier this year, Harper's Bazaar cited Jennifer Lopez, BeyoncĂ©, and Kim Kardashian all wearing different types of nearly-nude dresses at the 2015 Met Gala. They called the sudden boost in popularity "the Rihanna effect," after the singer's appearance in a see-through dress at the CFDA fashion awards last year. 


I know those women are some of the hottest names in fashion, but I'm just not sure I could leave myself exposed like that. The other day I spent some time browsing the collection of different bodysuits on Lyst for inspiration, and decided I could try a sheer top with a lace bodysuit underneath, similar to the For Love & Lemons Penelope Crochet piece, but that's as far as I think I could go. I need to have my front business covered when I go out! I certainly don't want to be worried that something might be out all night, or that I'm giving the person sitting across from me more of a show than I bargained for at dinner. 

I could, however, see myself altering the trend a bit—similar to the way that Kate Middleton recently did. The Duchess of Cambridge has always been a fashion icon for me, and her latest dress at the world premiere of Spectre was nothing short of dazzling. According to the Daily Mail, "Kate was a vision in diaphanous ice-blue chiffon."

To me, her dress was the perfect amount of transparent trend. And because, in my eyes, she can do no fashion wrong, it's a look I'm willing to take a whack at. Granted, I can't pull things off the same way Kate Middleton can, but hey, it's not like I haven't embarrassed myself before!

As always, thanks so much for stopping by...have a great start to you week!

21 comments:

  1. i don't know if i could do it either, but they sure are beautiful!

    xoxo, Preeti
    www.ninesto5.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheer dresses are totally not my style, but these ladies look beautiful!

    Fizz and Frosting

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't really realize this was a trend per say. I've seen a lot of crazy outfits between Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus, but it is true that women wear sheer clothing from time to time and sometimes it's even a sheer dress. I love the ones you choose, and I don't know that I could actually do this myself, but I love seeing the trend! xx, adaatude.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just bought a dress for a christmas party that is slightly sheer around the midsection, but still has a pattern. can't wait to wear it!
    elle
    Southern Elle Style

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate's dress was so classy! I loved how she looked in that blue dress! I don't think I could wear a full naked dress, I would be so self-conscious of exposing something. But I'd definitely love to try something on to see how it looks!
    xo, Kyla - <a href="http://www.kymariec.com" rel="nofollow>KyMarieC</a> / @kycurrierlewis

    ReplyDelete
  6. No-No-No.... Couldnt do it! haha....
    xx, Karen
    GlamKaren.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry I don't think it looks good on anyone, outside of a performance or art piece.

    Xo Ally

    www.allysoninwonderland.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm right there with you, sister! I'm not quite sure I will ever rock this trend. Love the post - thanks for sharing! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally with you on this trend...don't know if I have the cojones to pull it off like the ladies of the red carpet. However, Kate Middleton's look is just stunning! I could definitely see you in something like this and you would look amazing!
    xo
    Carrie
    CS Gems

    ReplyDelete
  10. They're all gorgeous! I'm not sure I could ever do it (plus I have tattoos) but it sure is pretty to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  11. In my opinion, I don't really like this trend at all. Yeah, I could probably pull it off, but it comes off as kind of "slutty" to me.

    xx,
    Amanda || www.fortheloveofglitter.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't really see myself wearing this but I think there is definitely a tasteful way to do it!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look beautiful! While these looks may not be the most practical for us regular folks lol there's always fun ways we can incorporate the trends, i love sheer inserts on tops or wearing a slip underneath a sheer dress to show off just a little bit of skin while keeping it classy for everyday :)

    xx
    Kaylah

    ReplyDelete
  14. These dresses are kind of celebrity territory to me but that being said I am a huge For Love & Lemons fan and would wear anything they make!

    xo Rachel
    To Hell in a Handbag

    ReplyDelete
  15. If only I had a body like these ladies! I think it works on the red carpet but maybe not so much for regular life lol.
    xo,c.

    http://theblockishaute.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think these sheer trend dresses are absolutely stunning and if I had more body confidence and a reason to rock when I think I would give it a shot but it would totally have to be more modest!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm always so nervous of a slip-up with sheer fabrics! But, in the times that I've worn them, I've never felt sexier!!
    xx, Bri
    Neutral2Neon.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can you believe she has had two kids! She looks fab! I actually really love this trend and think you would look amazing in these dresses!!

    Sportsanista

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beginning sewers typically do not know about interfacing. This is a material that can be used with the fabric to strengthen it.silk lace fabrics

    ReplyDelete
  20. The short fibers are used to produce rayon. The quality is determined by: a) fiber fineness; b) color; c) foreign matter. To figure out the fiber length, peel a thread and untwist. Look for fibers longer than ½".martindale abrasion and pilling tester

    ReplyDelete
  21. Has it been enrolled with the Better Business Bureau (BBB)? You can check the BBB's site to take a gander at the loaning organization's evaluating and satisfaction. On the off chance that there are objections or claims documented against a moneylender, you will have the capacity to check it from the BBB's record. usapaydayloanstore.com/chicago

    ReplyDelete